Fishtown is doing well in preserving its old churches from demolistion. They have been converted into office space, studio, homes and apartments. The trade off was unwelcomed density that has already become unabridgable for Fishtown residents.
On the other hand these churches sat vacant or could no longer support themselves with the sharp decline of parishiners and for other reasons. These churchs are a part of Fishtown history and its development with much honest sentimental feelings, but things change.
Fishtown only lost one church in recent time: Pilgrim Congregational United Church Of Christ at Belgrade and Marlborough.
Preservation can also include the elements of compromise and leverage. An empty church can't stand alone because things change as do the options.
Second Association of Spiritualists 1891 Thompson St by Frankford Ave (the story)
Episcopal Emmanuel Church on Marlborough St just above Girard Avenue.
East Montgomery Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church 1875 by Frankford Ave.
Saved from demolition.
Methodist Siloam Church 1876 on Susquehanna Ave and Livingston St (story)
East Baptist Church at 1236 E. Columbia Ave. by Moyer St
Fifth Reformed Dutch Church, Kensington 1863-1886 aka The Church of the Living Word
St Laurentius RC Church
Pilgrim Congregational United Church Of Christ at Belgrade and Marlborough
words and pictures by roman blazic__all rights reserved