The Pennsylvania State Historical Marker was dedicated on Saturday, October 17th, 2015. The marker, one of only three in Fishtown, stands in Palmer Cemetery along Palmer Street.
The marker was dedicated for Anthony Palmer who founded the community of Kensington. Palmer was an English businessman who came to America from Barbados around 1700-1705, purchasing large parcels of land prior to founding Kensington in the early 1730's. Palmer Cemetery is really the last "original" piece of land still intact since it's founding in 1730's.
Jim Kingsmill, cemetery trustee, presided over the dedication ceremony addressed the neighbors in attendance. Members of the Greater Kensington String Band Mummers performed spirited music and later a rendition of America the Beautiful for the unveiling of the historical marker.
Pastor Dave Ryan from the Kensington United Methodist Church a.k.a. "Old Brick Church" delivered the Invocation.
Both Rich Levins of the PTSSD and Tony Lemma, Vice President of The Home Depot spoke about people, organization's and business coming together for a common community cause. Tony Lemma speech was heart felt and proud from a guy who grew up in fishtown.
William Lewis was the representative from the Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission.
PA Rep. Mike O'Brien briefly spoke but kept a strong focus on the people that accomplished a very significant Fishtown moment.
John and Debbie Lonergan are the honorees that helped unveil Fishtown's newest Historical Marker dedicated for Anthony Palmer.
William McIlhenny as the Continental Soldier.
The Pledge of Allegiance
PA Rep. Mike O'Brien
words various source and all photos by roman blazic_all rights reserved